12 November 2010

spelunking

We have a few caves on my campus here in Santa Cruz. It's said that you can crawl through them to the ocean if you can stomach that kind of thing. I visited the caves with a friend yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. We didn't find any giant salamanders or even a single spider, but we did see a big, sparkling stalactite. It's been raining quite a bit, so the ground between the big boulders was wet and slippery as clay on a wheel.

In the deepest cavern, I could see my breath like dust in the light from my headlamp, and both of us got dizzy. When we surfaced, I was relieved to lie in the dappled sun filtering through the redwoods.

We spent the rest of the afternoon exploring a ravine looking for the cave they call the Hell Hole. We walked so far down along the creek that I had completely forgotten that we were looking for a cave by the time we found it. The hole in the ground wasn't anything I wanted to test my luck with - it looked like a steep drop down the rabbit hole.

Satisfied, we chased the last of the sun through golden leaves up the side of the hill and emerged into a big meadow with scattered oak trees and a large group of deer. The meadow was soft and bright green with new grass. I chased Elliot towards the sun and rolled down the bayside hill like a log.

2 comments:

geneviève bjargardóttir said...

ahh amazing.
i hope you brought a camera along.

maya said...

i did bring a camera, but i didn't take many pictures. i haven't really been seeing in ways i want to photograph recently...?!