18 December 2010

eight words

My most-abused words of 2010 would have to be:

1. Direction. I've been talking about getting/finding/creating direction for what seems like the better part of the year. Being twenty-one, about to graduate from college, and facing what looks like a hopeless job market, I feel like one of the oompa-loompas in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory chanting, "We don't know where we're going, but the river just keeps flowing," while plunging through a tunnel on the river of chocolate. At least that's how I remember it. That scene always freaked me out.

2. Balance. Even if the rest of my life is whack out of shape, I'm good at standing on my head.

3. I feel. I am basically ruled by my emotions.

4. Basically. Basically, adverbs are unnecessary.


Words I don't use enough and fully intend to make more promient in my vocabulary:

1. Bitchin'. Surf slang and a nod to an era I would have loved to live through.

2. Particle. Vague enough to be useful in all sorts of situations, specific enough to connote... something.

3. Carmine. This is a beautiful word and a beautiful (deep red) color, plus it recalls the insects that the color is extracted from. What more could one want from a word?

4. Obliterate. I need more action verbs in my life. Obliterate brings to mind oblivion and obliviousness and I wonder if obliviousness can ever be intentional and if, maybe, one can obliterate one's awareness and obliviously go into oblivion. It has something to do with letting go.

No comments: