06 April 2011

milner place

April is National Poetry month! This gives me the perfect occasion to share poems by some of my favorite poets.

This poem is by Milner Place, whom I know nothing about except that he is old and lives in England. It's called you should.

you should 
have kept 
your irons in the fire
eyes strictly on the ball
should not 
have eaten
all the grapes
nor lingered
where
the desert
was a sea bewitched
and all of time
crawled
naked 
through a sky 
where swam
a lonely
and frustrated sun
shouldn't
have talked back
to those eyes
nor laid 
your lips
upon
those breasts
you shouldnt 
but
it's wiser
that you did

This is basically everything I love in poetry. It's spare, straightforward, both concrete and abstract, intuitive and free of punctuation.

2 comments:

Elaina said...

i love this.

maya said...

me too, so much.