21 July 2011

3 books

that are feeding my mind (and soul) across all spectrums of thought:

1. Leslie Scalapino's How Phenomena Appear to Unfold, contemporary avant-garde poetry and essay with collaborative illustration. Motivating me to read Philip Whalen.


Color and sensation generate action.

2. Fritjof Chopra's The Tao of Physics, recommended to me by both my grad-student-in-physics neighbor and my acupuncturist, draws parallels between modern physics' relativity theories and age-old Eastern religion.

   
Subatomic particles are dynamic patterns which have a space aspect and a time aspect.

3. Miranda July's collection of short stories No one belongs here more than you. is the book at my bedside, everyday realism elevated to magical proportions.

 
Math teachers are saying that math was just a funny way of saying "I love you."

If you've ever been struck dumb by the weirdness of humans, if you like Dave Eggers or Vogue magazine, you'll probably like this book.

The photos are from film from spring in Santa Cruz.

2 comments:

Indigo moon said...

Ive been wanting to read the Tao of Physics, but have never held it in my hands.

Im intrigued about the short stories from Miranda July, I wonder if I can get my hands on that one in the danish libraries...probably not.. but maybe..

A quiet moment is to be enjoyed.

Maya said...

there's a chapter called "the cosmic dance" in the tao of physics - makes me think of you, heeee :)

as for miranda july, i don't know, i've seen the danish library pull through for sure... it is a pretty popular book i think