05 July 2011

if I slow down, my synesthesia kicks in


Not long ago, I had the pleasure of reading some of my poems with the groundbreaking poet Joan Retallack and my talented classmate Crystal Salas at my favorite gallery in Santa Cruz, Felix Kulpa.
One of my favorite lines of Joan's was, If I slow down, my synesthesia kicks in.
After the reading, I bought a copy of Joan's most recent book, Memnoir; she signed it for me at dinner. The fact that she signed it on my very favorite poem - Present Tensed, which I discovered on PennSound - blew my mind.

The art collective The Old Boys' Club says, The possibilities for beauty multiply through an economy of sharing.

And that's what this whole writing thing's about, isn't it?

2 comments:

katerr said...

OMG HOW DID IT COME TO PASS THAT YOU READ WITH JOAN RETALLACK???

Maya said...

oh man. i submitted to read with bhanu kapil at an event in santa cruz, and wasn't chosen for that, but was asked if i would like to read at a later reading. which happened to be with joan retallack. and changed my life! memnoir tugs my heartstrings so hard.