12 November 2012

this is a very particular kind of dance

I think that if I didn't have to have ambition the next thing I would want to do would be to move to Scandinavia and learn to make ceramics; I'd cast the hands of my friends and sculpt my own ideal bowl. So as to have something to sink my spoons into. And mugs, I would make mugs too; I could never have enough.


In the second year of my MFA people have begun to ask me if I have begun looking for teaching jobs. When I tell them I am not going to teach they ask why I'm in the MFA at all.


It's not so much a geographical thing, wanting to head north; it's more that I want to do something practical. Actually poetry is totally practical but it's the thing of wanting to make concrete things.


Even with a Ph.D it's difficult to get a job teaching at the university level, which is why the professors recommend against the doctorate unless that's the only thing you want in your life, at least for the next seven years. An MFA almost doesn't compete; even adjunct jobs are scarce and the security in adjuncting is tenuous at best.


I'm tired of always being thinking of the next thing, that's all.


1 comment:

Stacy said...

That is a huge dandelion!
My friend just received his PhD from Notre Dame and he's working construction. He did find a part time job teaching nights at a community college. It's a tough choice. I was headed for my Masters but turned around and decided I'd had too much school for awhile (8 years). I went on to teach and now I'm in educational administration.

You'll follow know when you're on the right path. It's important not to let society determine this path for you.